Monday, May 30, 2011

Sometimes all we need is a smile.

 Sometimes, when life seems like it couldn't be any busier, all we really need is a smile. As my days in Belgium and teaching these awesome First Graders are winding down I can't help but enjoy every minute of each day I have left with them. While I'm knee deep in all sorts of reports, jobs applications, etc. I can't help but also smile because of the way these kids have touched my life. They come to school and they're able to be exactly who they are, which is something that I feel is quite unique to this bunch of kids. If they want to wear a ribbon as a bowtie or a towel as a cape, then they do it and the whole class smiles and pretends they're super heroes for the day. Just last week we went into the forest in search of some temporary class pets for our "Living Things" unit of inquiry. I think every student was laughing as we were running around the forest and diving after different frogs, toads, and other creepy crawlies. I know I hadn't laughed that hard for a while! Here are some photos of times that have made me smile recently...
Holding hands and supporting one another.

observing frogs in the stream.
trying to catch frogs in/near the stream.
imagination at its best.
making cards during free choice for a student in another class who is in the hospital.
the whole class choosing to make cards during free choice because they genuinely care for each other.
temporary class pet #1 & 2
ribbit!

"he's so slimy!"


so excited.


"his feet are really sticky"
"hey look, he likes my arm!"

No comments: