Hello beautiful family and friends! Thanks to all of your support, kind thoughts, and wishes I have made it to Brussels safely. Although I feel like I just stayed up all night to write a paper or lesson plans (ahem, Sara Jeske) or something I know I'm just really exhausted from the jet lag. I really can't complain about either one of my flights though. I made it from Mpls. to Philadelphia in about 2 hours and then from there caught my flight to Brussels, which was about another 7 and a half hours. The really good news, however, is that I got moved up on both flights and had no one sitting right next to me on either of them! I guess it pays to politely ask to have a seat closer to the front if there are any left. I mean it's not like I got moved to first class or anything but it sure was nice to have that extra room right next to me.
So far I'm the only intern to arrive. An ISB employee, Nadja, picked me and a teacher named Judy up at the airport this morning and brought us to our apartments. Both of them were very nice and Nadja was really helpful so that was comforting. The other interns are all coming at various times on Monday so I'm definitely looking forward to that. Even though it's nice to have some time to settle in here on my own it will be nice to have some people to converse with as well. Unfortunately though I'm not able to unpack all of my stuff yet because the 1st floor of the apartment (which is where I'll be living) won't be ready until Monday or Tuesday. There's someone that's been living there for the past year or so who is in the process of moving out this weekend. The good news is that I got to see the general layout of my room since the first floor is the same as the second and my balcony is HUGE and it looks out on someone's pretty flowers (see pictures below)!
Thankfully I was able to find a small grocery store just a few blocks away (which was great because I didn't feel too overwhelmed, especially when you're this tired) and got some basic things to eat for the next few days until the other girls arrive. Hopefully then we'll be able to find the big "supermarche" together. I'm also hoping they have a fan there because it's quite warm in here. Let's just say I miss the air conditioning already! Well I guess that's all for now, I just wanted to give everyone an update and let you all know that I made it here safely. I'm just trying to relax really since I can't unpack my bags until I move down to my actual room. Hopefully I can stay awake long enough here to sleep through the night and feel somewhat more normal in the morning. Let's just say I'll be happy if I make it to 7:00 Brussels time because I'm so tired! Oh, and look, my bags all made it here!! :)

2 comments:
I am so happy that you are there safe and sound and I LOVE your apartment it looks wonderful!!!
Yay! I'm so glad that you're settling in. It's Tuesday- so the other girls should be in. Can't wait to hear about the wonders of everyday life abroad, and life in the classroom!
Post a Comment