Friday, January 21, 2011

Oh Italia, How I love thee!

As I'm sure you can tell I was just back in Italy recently. Last weekend to be exact. My friend Jess, who works in the School as a Speech Therapist, and I took off from Brussels via Ryanair last Friday after school and about an hour later landed in Venice, Italy. It still amazes me how fast you can get from one country to another here. After taking the bus from the airport into town (or out of town and onto the Island I suppose) began our real journey. Our first task was to find our hotel. About an hour and a half of walking over multiple canals and through random streets that make you feel like you're lost in a corn maze we found it. Our room was about the size of a closet but it was 45 Euros a night with free breakfast so what more can you ask for?! Plus, I think we spent about an hour total there where we were actually awake so it was perfect. 

Although I would not go as far as to dub Venice my favorite town in Italy (Florence & the whole Tuscany region still beat it in my opinion) it was definitely a beautiful place. Jess and I were lucky enough to be there at a time where the city was still filled with life but it wasn't crowded or super touristy by any means. We honestly didn't even really see a convenient store! While there we really just got lost in the maze that is the city. We walked basically from 9:30 am - 11:00 pm on Saturday, just exploring the city, enjoying the food & riding on the water bus! It really was the perfect weekend trip because we didn't feel the need to make an agenda but we still saw a LOT of Venice. 

It was definitely tough going back to work this week, and to top it all off it was a TOUGH week for me. As of March 22nd though I will be teaching 1st grade at ISB as the full time teacher. One of the teachers is going on maternity leave and after a lot of thought, and with the support of a lot of people (thank you) I have decided to take the position for the remainder of the year. Basically at the end of the day it comes down to the kids and what's best for them. After talking it over with a lot of people at the school and their current teacher I honestly believe that I'm the best fit. I actually spent the day today in the class because their teacher was home sick. To my surprise it was a nice way to end the week and I had lots of parents coming in full of encouraging words and support. Let's just say I'm about to start a new adventure and thanks to all of the support that I have from all of you guys and from the school I feel really good about it. It's going to be a challenge, but it's one that I think I'm ready for!

Anyways, here are some photos from Venice and the link to see the rest via my facebook album! 
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2077108&id=59201520&l=fa0070e2a2 
Yup, this was our hotel. Funny, eh?!
Pretty.
Jess and I
Cool old buildings...
Peaceful.
Need a lift?
Love it.
From the water bus!
At night
Such a neat place!

No comments: